Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Coyote, the Hare, the Horse and the ....... Happy Birthday Ride.


I realize this is from last fall, but I found the pictures and remembered that I started to write about the pictures and then forgot.  I finished the account today and wanted to share. 

Alone on my 40th birthday, with my husband living over in Wenatchee, WA.  I decide that I would go for a ride to take my mind off it.  I can't believe I am 40!! Where did time go?

I loaded Izzy up in the trailer and headed for USFS 232 trail, one of my favorites. Saddling up, the warm September breeze ruffled my hair and I couldn't wait to get going.  I set my GPS and off we go. We briefly stayed on the forest service road and then turned left up an old logging road. It  was about a 2.5 hour loop, approximately 14 miles +/- any detours. Izzy pulled on the reins and we moved into a nice long trot. The path is an old abandoned logging road, mostly overgrown with the occasional fallen tree jump/obstacle.  I glanced down at the GPS to try to rate our speed to about 10mph at the trot. Occasionally off to the side the brush moved, and I caught a glimpse of a coyote.  Must be a curious fellow I thought.  I pointed Izzy up a hill, taking a different route and climbed through the slash reaching the top of the ridge.  Up on the ridge the road flattened out.  I urged Izzy forward into a gallop;  within seconds we were flying in reckless abandon.  I do love to go fast. There is nothing that makes me smile more. 

All of a sudden, I feel Izzy drop her haunches and we start sliding across the shale.  Looking up, I see this grayish animal coming right at us from the trees.  My heart starts pounding and before I can do anything, the gray ball collides with Izzy's  shoulder.  In that instant she does a rollback...I stay on..  As I am trying to contemplate what the heck just happened, she stops and freezes. Her legs quivering, I look around to assess the scene.   I see the coyote about 20 feet away  up the embankment from us and a very stunned looking hare on the shoulder of the road to the right of us.  I quickly grab my phone and snap a picture before the hare bounds off.  



Chuckling to myself, Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom flashes in my head.  I never though I would be right in the middle of the classic prey predator chase.  By sheer luck, I think we saved the hare;  at least for today.  What are the odds?

I cluck to Izzy and she tentatively steps forward.  I am still cracking up.  As we round the ridge and drop down into a narrow trail and 90 degree turn, Izzy spooks.  Seriously? I say out loud, "really girl?" and laugh out loud. She snorts loudly staring off into the trees to our left.  I urge her on and then stop when I think I see something too.  Peering into the trees, I see a dark brown animal.  OH it's just a deer silly girl.  I snap a picture in the direction of the deer.  Picking up the reins, I push her on and she happily trots away snorting as I shake my head.



The sun sets and turns the ridge an orange color. I glance down and look at my GPS and realize we still have 6 miles to go and we better get a move on it.  The fall colors are beautiful and I feel renewed.  What a perfect way to spend my birthday.  We make it back to the trailer with 5 minutes to spare.  

After I load Izzy up and give her some hay I glance through the pictures on the phone.  I chuckle when I look at the hare, the peek of the coyote and that deer in the trees that looks like a dark brown spot.  Silly mare, I think.  And how many deer do we see on a ride!? I think I should call her "Dizzy Izzy".



After getting home and settling everyone, I head for the house to download the pictures on the Internet.  As I scroll through them, I blow up the deer picture.  What the heck?  That is no deer.  A large black bear comes into focus.  No way. No wonder Izzy behaved like she did.  It really kind of freaked me out looking at the picture and realizing it was a bear.  Surprise.  

Anyway, it certainly was an adventure.  Look at the pictures for yourself! Do you see the Bear?


Squirrel





No comments:

Post a Comment