Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Daisy The Mule





Well, it's taken me a long time since putting Tara down to consider replacing her.  I know she cannot be replaced as she was an original. I still tear up from time to time.  I loved her so much.  I love Izzy, as you all know, but trail is just really not her strong suit.  She loves the arena and to be shown.  She doesn't mind the occasional trail ride, but she just has ADHD and can't pay attention to where her feet are half the time and I feel like her heart is not into competing in distance.  Izzy is my Maserati and I need a jeep.

I have been casually looking for a year.  My budget was small after all the vet expenses and I just hadn't found the right horse.  I wanted a horse that was brave and enjoyed getting out on the trail, a horse that I could form a tight bond with, a horse that would move out and loved to go,  a smart horse, a beautiful horse, a horse who enjoyed attention, a horse with endurance and heart; the list goes on. The perfect horse.

And then one day, while looking through Dreamhorse, I saw an ad for Daisy the mule.  She was adorable.  Intrigued, I read on.  The ad read Daisy is easy to catch, loves attention,and  has good ground manners.  She has good hard feet clean legs, good conformation and is built strong for mountain trails.  She walks out well on the trail and has lots of go trotting and loping out nicely when asked.  The ad said she had minimal spook on the trail and had a great stop.  The owner was looking for an intermediate to advanced rider.   Hmmm. I thought. I wonder.

So I googled mules.  Sure, I had seen lots of them up in high country, but could they do limited distance endurance? I ride Arabians for heaven sake.  All the literature said yes, absolutely.  I googled "Why a Mule?" The literature all said the same.  The following are quotes from the rural heritage mule blog.

They endure heat better than horses.  Apparently when water starved, they only drink enough to replace lost body fluids, so water founder is rare in a mule.

They have fewer feeding problems.  All they need is hay, and a small amount of grain when in hard work to maintain the same condition as horses.

They rarely have hoof problems.  Their feet are strong, tough, flexible and not as brittle as horses.  Often times they never need shoes.

Mules excel in physical Soundness.  They last longer and are more maintenance free. Not only legs, but wind, "innards," and all other parts of the mule including his hide are tougher and more durable than comparable parts of the horse. Hybrid vigor explains a lot of this; the tough physical and mental qualities of the donkey explain the rest.

Mules live longer and have a strong sense of preservation.Mules are not stubborn. Neither are donkeys. Yes, of you want them to work too hard for their own well being, especially in hot weather, they will be "stubborn." We have never heard of a messenger running a mule to death the way legends say they ran their horses! The facts that mules are inclined not to panic, that they think about what is happening to them, and they take care of their own physical well being prevents many accidents that might happen if they were horses. I think this would be a good thing up on some of the trails I go on. 

Read on:


Mules are surefooted and careful.
Their surefootedness is partly physical and partly psychological. On the physical side, the mule has a narrower body than a horse of the same height and weight. He gets this from the ass side of the family. His legs are strong and his feet are small and neat. This narrow structure and small hoof configuration enable him to place his feet carefully and neatly. On the psychological side, mules have a tendency to assess situations and act according to their views (most of which have to do with self preservation). A mule will trust its own judgement before it trusts yours.

Well, why not, I thought.  A mule sounds like a good match.  Tara was super smart and had her own opinions too.  We always compared her to a mule, and praised her for taking such good care of me in difficult conditions.  I learned to listen to her, because she was usually right. With all the Arabian prejudice out there, I can take owning a mule.  Who cares, I am forty anyway.  I am not out to impress anyone.

So, I made a call and met Molly McDaniel out of Selah, who was the agent for Daisy.  I took the trailer down to Selah, WA to see Daisy and Molly.  Daisy was difficult to catch in the round pen, but she was anxious from being taking out of the large pasture.  After a few minutes they caught her.  She lead nicely and stood quietly for tacking up.  I drilled Molly about anything and everything I could think of.

I knew she was green in her video. Molly saddled her up and she stood quietly.  I asked her to move out and she did.  Her gait was nice.  She didn't know much, but was willing and calm.  I took her with molly on the trail.  She walked right out;  I loved watching her ears.  It is like watching a giant radar.  She felt different more back and forth, but it was smooth and she had a great walk.  We had a nice ride and she even kicked out going up the hill, when I pushed her a little hard.  She took me up an embankment without hesitation with one powerful push.  I have to admit I was impressed.

When we got back, I asked more questions.  Daisy needed work with her hind feet.  Molly said she was great with her front, but needed work on the hind.  Even though she wasn't perfect and I had seen some negative things, I still liked her and just felt something towards her.  While we negotiated, we tied her to the trailer and she pawed and threw a big tantrum.

I had second thoughts, but still wanted to take her on trial, as I felt she was having a bad day.  She loaded up in the trailer and I took her home.  I felt worry from Molly as I left and I felt a little worried myself as I drove off and wondered what I had just done.  All my common sense told me no, don't do it, but there was just something about her and my gut told me she deserved another chance.

She hauled well for the 4 hour ride home.  I put her in her own pen and went to bed.  I figured I would let her settle for the next 3 days and then start working with her. Starting this Saturday I worked with her and she surprised me.  Every day I worked with her she became quieter and more willing.  I show her something, she thinks about it and then gets it quickly. Wow.  She is so smart.

I rode her last night in the pasture and after putting my treeless saddle on her and purchasing a headstall and bit, we had a lovely ride in the pasture.  I definitely need a better set up but it works for now. Today, I had my first lesson on her with Brooke.  She surprised me with how quick she picked up on moving her shoulder over and then her hind.  I got on her and it transferred in the saddle.  I am so excited. I really like this mule. I think my instinct was right.

We are starting to develop a connection.  I love this mule!  I need to get a pre-purchase exam on Monday and a brand inspection and pending she passes, which I am sure she will.  I am thinking there is no way she is leaving.  I am smitten.  Oh what an adventure this is going to be!  Welcome Daisy!  I think Tara would give you the nod.  I think I found my Jeep!  

Squirrel








2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful girl! While I was looking for a horse I looked at her ad a lot, but I really didn't have the money. Glad she found her way to an excellent home, and I can't wait to read more about your journeys together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andrea. She has some pretty big shoes to fill, but I feel like we were made for each other.

    ReplyDelete