Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A Magical Moment: Neah Bay, WA

Great Spirit: A warrior goes to you swift and straight as an arrow shot into the sun. Welcome her and let her take her place among other great horses. She is Tara, Amber's friend.

It is hard to begin anything.  I thought it might be appropriate to start with one of my incredible experiences with a special Arabian mare named Noni.  I lost noni to a freak accident when the vet was palpating her to breed and tore her rectum about 8 years ago.  I did have one foal from Noni; Tara.  Tara is my  horse of a lifetime and at 12 years old this year we had to put her down after an amazing battle with Lymphoma that she couldn't win.  It broke my heart, but I know I was blessed to ever have her. She was a magical horse, intelligent beyond belief and opinionated.  She was absolutely beautiful and had a special soul. We were a perfect match. Tonight in fact, my husband handed me the tail hairs that Washington State University lovingly braided for me back in August, but I just wasn't quite ready for them yet.  How could I begin anything horse related without mentioning her.  She is the horse in the background on the blog page.  Tara grew up running loose on the beaches in Neah Bay, WA alongside her dam Noni.  Please enjoy this story through my eyes.   

When you smile you instantly feel better.  I felt a smile from deep within as I slipped the bridle in place.  Noni, my beautiful Arabian mare danced around impatiently.  I laughed as I flung my shoe off and nearly hit my friend Gena as she leapt effortlessly onto her shiny chestnut Arab mare, Mishaah.  We didn't need shoes where we were going.  Fumbling around and after 2 attempts I finally managed to haul myself on board Noni. Grace is not my name.  Barefoot and bareback, we laughed as we headed down the dirt road for our evening ride on Sooes beach in Neah Bay, WA.



View of Sooes Beach -Neah Bay, WA




The horses began to pick up their pace and I could feel Noni's heart beat thrumming.  Cresting the dune,the waves pounded the shore. I tasted the salty sea as the wind whipped my hair.  The sun set low in the sky as we trotted down the dune.  Noni tensed in anticipation, dancing sideways as I grabbed a handful of mane and shortened the reins.


Sooes Beach Neah Bay, WA - tide coming in



With a nod and a grin at Gena; it was on.  Leaning forward I released the reins and let her go. Noni nickered as she stretched her legs out. Ears forward and tense, she exploded underneath me. We raced across the beach; not a single person in site. Glancing at Gena we laughed, and our focus turned to riding.  

All thoughts of the day gone and worries non existent;  I gazed forward between her ears as we effortlessly picked up speed.  I felt every stride, every step, and emotion. Flicking  her ears back and forth listening to me, her muscles slid powerfully underneath as I talked to her.  My heart pounded, I felt  exhilaration and peace at the same time.  We were one.  Curving around Sooes beach toward Hobuck beach we dodged dead wood, careening from side to side as I hung on trying to anticipate every direction change.  The river loomed around the bend.  Kissing to Noni softly, I squeezed with my calves.  She responded instantly and I felt her flattening out as she swallowed up the ground.  I felt like flying. We angled close to the water. Closing my eyes, I  tasted the salt on my lips.  The sun set low in the sky and the beach turned a brilliant red. It was stunning. Gena was slightly ahead.  I gazed in awe as Gena leaned forward and pulled Mishaa's headstall off.  Bridle-less they disappeared around the bend.   

A typical beautiful sunset on Sooes Beach, Neah Bay


Noni pulled at the bit and flicked her ears back at me pleading. In answer, I released the rein.  Surging forward underneath me, I could hear the pounding of her hooves ripping into the sand.  Her chest expanded beneath my legs as I felt each breath. With a head toss, she flattened her ears back on her head and we raced.  Low over her outstretched neck we flew; the sand stung my feet and I felt a sharp pain as her mane lashed my face angrily. My heart quickened as we caught Mishaah and the two mares raced side by side ears laid back,  each detemined  to get ahead. Stride after stride, breath after breath they matched each other. Approaching the river, I turned her into the deep sand and pulled her in to a big circle. Slowing, she turned her ear back listening, waiting for me, and I reached down petting her neck as she slowed to a stop.



Sooes Beach- where it meets the river and the large sandy area where we would slow the horses down.


Sated, adrenaline still pumping we walked along the river.  Her damp sides heaved as her breathing slowed and we walked on. The moon glistened and shone down creating soft light filtering through the trees.  We walked in complete silence and awe  trusting our mounts and each other in the moment. 

 I will never forget that magical moment 14 years ago. I spent 4 years living at the coast guard station in Neah Bay, WA on the Makah Indian Reservation.  The people were open and generous allowing me into their lives like family.  My horse ran free with a large herd.  I rode daily on the beach and smoked salmon by the river.  The whole herd of about 10 horses would sometimes come with us on our rides and run down the beach.  It was the best time of my life and holds a place near and dear to my heart.  This story is dedicated to Gary, Betty, Eugena, Heather and Matt Ray; my second family and to "Tara."   

Squirrel



Sooes Beach Evening time. 
Annonymity "Noni"
RIP 2004










No comments:

Post a Comment