Sunday, September 8, 2013

Daisy Goes Greek- A Walk On The Wildside


I have so many new adventures to share but have been busy looking for a job and planning my move across the state.  I had a few minutes, so I thought I would share this unusual adventure.

The farrier was out last Tuesday and took off all Daisy’s sole callus that she had built up, so she went from mule feet of steel to can't walk on anything but soft ground feet. I took her riding a day ago and ended up walking three miles down the rocked road to the trailhead that normally would not have fazed her.  Grrr, I should have watched him closer!  I need a good barefoot trimmer.

I planned to go back to McCroskey State Park and drive up to Fireplace campground and hit the trail from there.  I would ride up to Mission Mtn, and then cut down and hit the Korth Trail and make a loop back to Fireplace. 




I hooked up the trailer and Daisy was waiting for me at the gate.  I love that she is just as excited, as I am to ride.  She pretty much loads herself these days.  I cranked the radio up to an old 80’s tune Jessie’s Girl and headed out. 

After slowly driving up skyline ridge, I realized there was a small turnout and I could hit the Korth trail at the trailhead.  I decided to keep going up to Fireplace, because I had not ridden that loop before.  I pulled into the primitive campground and noticed 3 cars parked in front of the covered picnic area.  They were playing loud music and looked harmless enough.  I never see anyone at this park, so it kind of shocked me to see someone here. 

I unloaded Daisy and saddled up, admiring my new saddle and how nice it looked on her.  I packed a sandwich, 3 water bottles, first aid kit, spot messenger, map, GPS and a rain jacket.  Daisy was completely calm, but was very curious about all the loud noise.  

 Daisy at Brad Cameron Clinic with her new McCall slick fork wade mule saddle.







I locked up the trailer and lead Daisy down the sharp gravel road.  Daisy walked gingerly on the rock and I hoped once I made it to the trail it would improve.  The trail had sharp shale rock and small pebbles on top of stone. Discouraged, I continued to lead Daisy thinking it would be good exercise for me and should get better down the trail.  After about 10 minutes, we hit clear-cut slash and I mounted up and tried to follow what was left of the trail. 
 



After about 20 minutes, I had to get off again.  Rock everywhere, pebbles, shale…Uggh!  I was determined to get down to the Korth trail.   We turned and went straight down a gully and I slipped and slid my way down, while Daisy picked her way down ever so carefully.  I looked back up and it donned on me that I would have to go back up on foot.  I tried not to think about it.



Finally, we came to a single-track trail and I mounted up again.  I don’t think anyone had been on this trail in a very long time.  I ducked, dove, hung on from the side and evaded the branches that were everywhere.  I lost my ball cap on a branch and scraped my arm.  Not quite the ride I had envisioned.  As I dismounted and lead Daisy back to the tree, I realized I couldn’t reach my hat.  I proceeded to get back on whilst bushwhacking through the brush with my head.   I half stood on her back, praying she would stand there; it was after all my favorite pink hat with a cross and gingham design.  Successful, I plunked my hat down on my head and pulled my pony tail through that was engulfed in twigs.  Ouch!



There is nothing like the sticky, soft , silky feeling of spider webs across the face.  They were everywhere!  I pulled my shirt up and wiped my face just in time to see the large tree lying diagonally across the trail.  It looked awfully low, but we were upon it before I could get Daisy to stop.   Luckily, she went under the tall end and we cleared it by a feather.  Daisy slightly squatted under it, and I am convinced she was looking out for me. 

After clearing the trail of spiders, we rode out into an opening and found a few picnic benches.  I decided I would stop and eat my sandwich there.  I tied Daisy up and ate my sandwich.  I planned to continue down the trail another 30 minutes and then head back if I didn’t make it to the trailhead.  The views were stunning from the picnic table.  I could see the trail I wanted to ride on and contemplated going straight down the mountain and making my own trail, but it looked pretty treacherous and decided I wasn’t quite ready for that.
  A section of the Korth Trail.  In sight, but for the steep drop off I couldn't reach it.

I continued down the trail leading Daisy and became increasingly frustrated that the trail was so rocky.  The rocks hurt my feet through my shoes.  I finally gave up when I saw that the last mile to the Korth trail was a gravel road.

I turned around and told myself what good exercise this was for me.  Eventually, we headed up the gully.  I turned Daisy loose. She follows me like a dog now.  At times, I grabbed for roots to try to pull my way up.  My thighs and butt ached.  Occasionally,  I felt Daisy nudge me in the butt with her big ol’ head.  “Come on already, what is the problem? “ It made me laugh. After several rest stops for me, we made it back up.  I knew I had another 4 miles of off and on walk and ride.

No rocks in sight, I gladly mounted up again and enjoyed her freaky fast walk as we covered some ground.  I love this mule!  I sat back and completely dropped the rein as she flew down the trail; over logs, around rock outcroppings, over creeks all without missing a step.  I enjoyed the view from Skyline.  It just makes me happy out here, all my cares gone.  I felt like a pioneer woman out in the wilds on my steed.  It made me think of the history of McCroskey State Park.  I posted a little blurb below about the history of this park from wikipedia.


McCroskey State Park was gifted to Idaho in 1955 by a local conservationist, Virgil T. McCroskey, who gradually bought up land endangered by logging and cobbled his purchases into a 4,400-acre (18 km2) parcel.[1] To make the land more attractive to tourists, he cut viewpoints into some of the slopes, built picnic areas, planted flowers, and established a road. The Idaho legislature, however, had serious doubts about the new park – thinking it would not generate enough revenue to justify the loss in taxes – and agreed to accept the gift only if McCroskey, then in his late seventies, would maintain the park at his own expense for the next fifteen years. McCroskey accepted the terms, and lived exactly fifteen more years, fulfilling his obligation to the state of Idaho just weeks before his death in 1970 at age 93.[2]
McCroskey named the park in honour of his mother, a pioneer woman who came to Eastern Washington with her husband and children to establish a homestead near Steptoe Butte; he dedicated it to all pioneer women.[1] 
 Wikipedia contributors. "McCroskey State Park." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 24 Apr. 2013. Web. 9 Sep. 2013.

Thank you Mr. McCroskey.  I feel so blessed to live in an area with all this beautiful recreational ground.  I thank God for the opportunity to have the means to enjoy the world from the back of a good Mule/Horse. 

My energy perked up as I hummed a song and just enjoyed nature.  As we approached the clear cut, I heard loud voices and music.  Hmm, sounds like quite the party.  I dismounted to walk down the last section of trail to the campground.  I heard voices up ahead.  Four young college age students dressed with white collared shirts with their Greek logos embroidered approached.  Two young males carrying bottles of rum and red cups began hollering out to us.  Cool!  Wow!  That is a really big donkey… Can we pet your burro?  I want a ride. 

My heart raced.  You guys need to stand back from the mule!  Daisy's eyes grew huge. I worried, because I just didn’t know how she was going to react.  The smell of liquor engulfed us.  They all began petting her and the young man disregarded my warning to stay away from her, giving her a hug.  Daisy stood stock-still.  I feared she might kick if she felt threatened.  Get back from my mule! I said loudly.   I was working so hard on her trusting people again.  I kept rubbing her and reassuring her.  Good girl Daisy, it's alright.  

One of the men came over and slung his arm around her neck sloshing rum down her side. Her eyes were huge.  She tipped an ear towards him and took a step towards me and then stood patiently while I walked forward and tried to force my way through.  Finally, we got around them.  I felt a wave of anger come over me and my heart beat fast.

I was totally unprepared for the scene enfolding in front of us as we rounded the corner.  There must have been 70+  college students dancing, yelling, drinking and carrying on.  Tents and vehicles completely surrounded my horse trailer on all sides.  I was completely blocked in!! What the heck were they thinking?  Hello?  I obviously was not part of the group.  Do we not have any common sense?  I quickly tried to decide what I was going to do.  Before I could come up with a plan, I was surrounded. 

“Look a horsey!  A girl shrieked. “  Are you freaking kidding me? It was like riding into a frat house.  “That is a big horse, but what is wrong with his ears?”  “How much for a ride?”  "Is that a donkey?"  The comments and questions poured in as they danced around her.  The music pulsed even louder.  It felt like a Rave.  Girls, with thongs peaking out from their low waisted pants staggered around dancing, while young men grinded against them and bumped to the beat.  I wanted to cover Daisy's eyes.  There were red cups, trash and liquor bottles laying everywhere.  There were maybe twelve people standing next to the trailer.

I was so upset…I just wanted to get back to the trailer, load her up and get the Hell out of the there.  Stay back, stay back!  My words fell upon deaf ears.  A girl walked up to me, petted Daisy’s nose and then vomited on my trailer.  By then the music was so loud, I couldn’t hear myself talk.  Daisy became worried and started to get anxious as she was surrounded.  I yelled at them to stay away and told them that she might kick.  A few people walked away and made comments under their breath. “stupid lady, I just wanted to pet her horse.” 

Mind you, these are the next generation.  Are we creating a new generation that has absolutely no common sense?  Most of them had never heard of a mule.  How is that possible?  I was so angry by now, but I knew I had to get Daisy in the trailer, before something bad happened. 

Yanking pegs out of the ground, I slid two tents out from behind the trailer.  Daisy became scared as I pulled the tents out of the way thinking the tents were after her.  I stopped and calmed her.  I managed to clear a path large enough to get the door open and loaded her completely tacked up.  She gladly hopped in.  Two people stood on the fender and tried to pet her through the window screens.  I walked over and closed the drop down doors.  I was livid.  

How was I going to find these people and get their cars moved, I thought to myself.   I was pretty ticked and I tried to be calm.  I walked to the picnic area by the keg and asked to see if someone knew whose vehicles were blocking the road.  I thought my attempts were futile, as everyone ignored me. Luckily in 10 minutes a young man came over and said he would find the owners and get the cars moved.  I was going to give them 15 minutes, then I was calling the sheriff; this was ridiculous and I was losing my temper.  Come on guys. 

Finally after 20 minutes, we had a path cleared so I could drive out.  I knew I couldn’t turn around and head back to the entrance that I had come in.  I could continue down skyline and get out of the park another way.  It would be a lot longer drive, but I was just relieved to be out of there.  I encountered multiple vehicles who were clueless about driving on a narrow road;  road etiquette 101, when encountering a larger vehicle.  I ended up driving up an embankment and letting them by.  They simply blocked the road and stared at me like now what do we do?  Hello, pull off the road a little so I can get around.  Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!  No common sense whatsoever.  I drove another 7 miles creeping along at 20 mph.  The roads were rough, but I knew I could make it off skyline road and take a graveled road down to Farmington and head back home from there.  We made it home by 9:40 pm and pulled into the driveway.  

I am so glad that someone did not get hurt.  I am proud of my mule and the confidence she is developing in me.  It makes me wonder how long I will be able to enjoy the wide open spaces and how things have changed so much.  I know there are responsible young adults out there, and I am grateful for the young man who helped me out.  Are we not teaching our kids to think critically and rationally about things?   Wouldn't you think if you came to a campground and there was a horsetrailer parked there out of the way angled to be able to pull back on the road with a haybag hanging from the trailer and a lead rope dangling from the side that someone might be coming back and may need to get out? Gee,  lets put our tents all the way around the trailer and truck and park our cars right up to the bumper.  I guess you can never be prepared for what you might encounter on the trail.  I thought I was pretty prepared.


Squirrel




2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a bunch of idiots! I'm glad it all turned out okay. Totally stressed me out just reading about it.

    I don't know if it's just me, but I can't see your pictures. Sounds like you have some really nice ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I re-attached the pictures. I think the pixels were too large. It was not my most favorite ride that is for sure. :)

      Delete